Click to Call Us Now from your Smartphone
Google PlusFacebookTwitter

Incandescent Light Bulb Becoming Obsolete, Energy Efficient Lighting and Lighting Installation the Future (Part II)

Incandescent Light Bulb Becoming Obsolete, Energy Efficient Lighting and Lighting Installation the Future (Part II)

on Jan 11, 2013 in adec electrical, Electrical Contractor, Electrical sevices, Latest News, Lighting Maintenance, Lighting Servces, Lighting Services Vancouver, Outdoor Lighting, Sign Maintenance, Sign Service, Signs

Incandescent-Light-Bulb-Becoming-Obsolete,-Energy-Efficient-Lighting-and-Lighting-Installation-the-Future-(Part-II)

Click image to download PDF of this Article

1-888-burnt-out? says: LEDs, LED lighting installation and retrofitting is the future. Here’s why:

Both business and residential consumers seek ways to reduce the costs of energy. From parking lot lighting to the complicated lighting installation in a corporate business sign, to basic task lighting in the home, the consumption of energy is constant and in some cases costly. Complicating things further is the fact that the incandescent bulb is plagued with a host of inefficiencies.

As discussed in part one of this post, only 10 percent of its electrical output becomes light and the remaining 90 percent becomes heat. But is the CFL (compact fluorescent lamp) any better? The answer is yes, and no.

More efficient than incandescent bulbs by a long shot, the CFL is plagued with a host of inefficiencies all its own. Mercury contamination, flickering lights, incompatibility with dimmer circuits and safety concerns over recycling, make the CFL less efficient than once believed. For these reasons, and more, LEDs are the preferred and most efficient lighting and lighting installation source of the future.

Singing the Praises of the LED… with ample justification

When comparing the incandescent light bulb to an LED, the findings are indisputable:

Heat

Apart from wasting energy, the tungsten filament in an incandescent light bulb operates at or near 3,170 degrees Fahrenheit. This begs the obvious question: Have you ever tried changing an incandescent light bulb with your bare hands? Not smart, as you undoubtedly run the risk of a severe and painful burn. Comparatively, LED technology makes the LED bulb cool to the touch. But there’s more…

In addition to being cooler, LEDs are solid and typically contain clusters. This makes them durable enough to withstand jarring and bumping, and allows them to continue emitting light, even if one in the cluster fails.

Life Span

Is it true that an LED bulb can last up to 50,000 hours? Indeed, this is true, and to put this into perspective, 50,000 hours is more than 5 years. Comparatively, an incandescent light bulb lasts for less than 1,200 hours or just shy of two months.

This longer lifespan reduces the frequency of bulb replacement and lighting repairs. As if financial savings weren’t enough, there’s more…

Illumination

A mere 6-watt LED bulb produces as much or more light than a 50-watt incandescent bulb. This means LED lighting installations consume up to 85 percent less energy. Now that’s the type of savings you can see, literally. So, does all this mean the incandescent light bulb will be gone forever? Perhaps, but what is certain is that less heat, longer life and brighter light make LEDs the frontrunner and the obvious choice.

Still not sure how to adopt the technology of the future? Looking for more ways to reduce your electric bill? Contact a 1-888-burnt-out electrician with questions about LEDs, LED lighting installation and retrofitting for your home or business

Enhanced by Zemanta